Having trouble with a crossword where the clue is “ Turns off the sound“? Many popular websites offer daily crosswords, including the Washington Post, the New York Times (NYT mini crossword), and Newsday's Crossword. We all know that crosswords can be hard occasionally as they touch upon a bunch of different subjects, and players can reach a dead end.
Hence, we have all the possible answers for your crossword puzzle to help your move on with solving it. Remember that some clues have multiple answers, so you might have some cross-checking.Today's Deals on Amazon
In most cases, you must check for the matching answer among the available ones based on the number of letters or any letter position you have already discovered to ensure there is a matching pattern.
Turns off the sound [Crossword Clue]
If “ Turns off the sound” is the clue you have encountered, here are all the possible solutions, along with their definitions:
- MUTES (5 Letters/Characters)
Crossword Answer Definition
Here are all the available definitions for each answer:
- refraining from speech or temporarily speechless.”Harry sat mute, his cheeks burning resentfully”
- offensive dated (of a person) lacking the faculty of speech.
- (of a letter) not pronounced. “mute e is generally dropped before suffixes beginning with a vowel”
noun: mute; plural noun: mutes
- offensive [dated] a person lacking the faculty of speech.
- historical (in some Asian countries) a servant who was deprived of the power of speech.
- historical an actor in a dumbshow.
- historical a professional attendant or mourner at a funeral.”an undertaker's mute”
- a clamp placed over the bridge of a stringed instrument to deaden the resonance without affecting the vibration of the strings.
- a pad or cone placed in the opening of a brass or other wind instrument to soften the sound.
- a device on a television, telephone, or other appliance that temporarily turns off the sound.
verb: mute; 3rd person present: mutes; past tense: muted; past participle: muted; gerund or present participle: muting
- deaden, muffle, or soften the sound of.”her footsteps were muted by the thick carpet”
While you are here, check the Crossword Database part of our site, filled with clues and all their possible answers!