Minecraft is a game that offers limitless possibilities for creativity, exploration, and adventure. One of the game's most exciting features is the ability to fly. Flying in Minecraft can be useful in many ways, such as exploring new areas, getting a better landscape view, and saving time when traveling. In this guide, we will cover all the ways players can achieve flying in Minecraft, including the basic ways to achieve flight, using mods and cheats for flight, flying in survival mode, advanced flight techniques, and tips for successful and safe flying.
Minecraft is a game that allows players to create, explore, and embark on adventures. Flying in Minecraft is a coveted skill that can open up new possibilities for players, such as exploring new areas, getting a better landscape view, and saving time when traveling. In this guide, we will cover all the ways players can achieve flying in Minecraft.
Basic Ways to Achieve Flight
How to fly in Minecraft Creative Mode
As the name suggests, Creative mode is a game setting in Minecraft that allows players to unleash their imaginations and build without limitations. One of the most exciting features of creative mode is the ability to fly, offering players a chance to explore their creations and the world from a bird's-eye view.
To start flying in Minecraft Creative Mode, follow these simple steps:
- Enter Creative Mode: First, ensure you are in creative mode. You can either start a new game in creative mode or change your existing game mode by using the command
- Toggle Flight Mode: Double-tap the jump key (spacebar by default on most devices) to initiate flying. You should now see your character levitating above the ground.
- Ascend and Descend: In flight mode, you can move upward by holding down the jump key (spacebar). To descend, press the sneak key (left shift by default on most devices).
- Move Around: Like walking or running, use the movement keys (W, A, S, and D by default) to navigate the air. Combining these keys with the jump and sneak keys will enable you to explore your world effortlessly.
- Landing: Simply descend to the ground and double-tap the jump key again. This will disable flight mode, and your character will return to walking or running.
Following these steps allows you to freely explore your Minecraft world from above, making planning and building your creations easier.
How to Fly with Elytra (Creative and Survival mode)
Elytra, the unique pair of wings found in the game, offers players an exhilarating way to achieve flight in Minecraft. Unlike creative mode, Elytra allows you to glide rather than fly, adding a thrilling touch to your in-game exploration.
Here's how to use Elytra to glide through the skies:
- Obtain Elytra: First, you'll need to acquire Elytra. You can find them in the End Ship located in End Cities, which can be accessed after defeating the Ender Dragon.
- Equip Elytra: Open your inventory and place the Elytra in the chest plate armor slot. Your character will now be equipped with the Elytra wings.
- Find a High Point: To start gliding, you'll need to find an elevated point, such as a mountain, tower, or cliff. The higher your starting point, the longer your glide will be.
- Jump and Glide: Stand at the edge of your chosen high point and jump off. While falling, press the jump key (spacebar by default) again to activate your Elytra wings and enter glide mode.
- Control Your Glide: While gliding, use the movement keys (W, A, S, and D) to control your direction. Look up to ascend slightly and gain more distance, or look down to descend and pick up speed.
- Landing: Simply glide towards the ground and let your character touch down. You will exit glide mode automatically upon landing.
How to obtain the Elytra
The Elytra is a rare item found exclusively in End Cities, which are structures located in the outer End islands. To obtain the Elytra, players must follow these steps:
- Defeat the Ender Dragon: To access the outer End islands where End Cities are located, players must first defeat the Ender Dragon, a boss mob and the End dimension's main antagonist. The Ender Dragon can be found in the End dimension, accessed by entering an End Portal located in a stronghold.
- Find an End City: Once the Ender Dragon is defeated, a gateway portal will appear, allowing players to access the outer End islands. Players must then search for an End City. End Cities are distinctive structures made of end stone bricks and purpur blocks, and Shulkers guard them. End Cities can be found by exploring the outer End islands, which can be reached by flying with an Elytra or using an End Gateway.
- Locate the End Ship: The Elytra can be found in a chest inside the End Ship, a smaller structure often floating above the main End City structure. The End Ship can be identified by its distinctive shape and a large dragon head on its front.
- Defeat the Shulkers: The End Ship is guarded by Shulkers, hostile mobs that shoot homing projectiles at players. Players must defeat the Shulkers to gain access to the chest containing the Elytra. It is recommended that players bring weapons, armor, and food with them when exploring End Cities.
- Retrieve the Elytra: Once the Shulkers have been defeated, players can access the chest inside the End Ship to retrieve the Elytra. It is recommended that players equip the Elytra immediately to avoid taking fall damage while exploring the rest of the End City or returning to the main island.
How to use the Elytra to fly
To use the Elytra in Minecraft, players need to equip it in the chest plate slot of their inventory. Once equipped, players can use the Elytra to glide through the air by jumping off a high place and pressing the jump button again to open their wings.
However, players must own rockets in their inventory to fly further and faster with the Elytra. To use rockets, players must equip them in the off-hand slot of their inventory and press the use item button while gliding with the Elytra. More information on this topic is available in the Advanced Flying Techniques section below.
The rockets will propel the player through the air and boost their speed. It is important to note that the Elytra has durability and can break if used too much, so it is recommended that players repair it with Phantom Membranes or Mending Enchantments to keep it in good condition. Additionally, players should be mindful of their surroundings and avoid obstacles like trees and buildings while flying with the Elytra.
Soaring through the Sky with the Elytra wings
By following these steps, players can obtain the Elytra and add a new level of excitement and adventure to their Minecraft gameplay. Mastering Elytra-based flight can take some practice, but it offers a unique and exciting way to explore your Minecraft world. Combining and advancing these techniques with other in-game items like rockets can enhance your flying experience.
Mods and Cheats: Expanding Flight Options in Minecraft
While Minecraft offers built-in features such as creative mode and Elytra to achieve flight, some players may seek additional options to enhance their flying experience. In this blog post section, we'll discuss how to enable cheats in Minecraft, explore popular mods that facilitate flight, and consider the benefits and drawbacks of using mods and cheats for flight.
Enabling Cheats in Minecraft and switching to Creative Game Mode to Fly
In Minecraft, players can use cheats to enable creative-like flight in Survival mode, making exploration and building much more convenient. To use cheats to fly in Minecraft, follow these steps:
- Enable Cheats: First, make sure cheats are enabled in your world. If you're creating a new world, toggle “Allow Cheats” to ON in the “More World Options” menu. For existing worlds, press the ‘Esc' key to open the game menu, click on “Open to LAN,” toggle “Allow Cheats” to ON, and click “Start LAN World.”
- Use the
/gamemodecommand: Once cheats are enabled, you can change your game mode to Creative, allowing unlimited flight. To do this, open the chat window by pressing the ‘T' key (or ‘/' key on some devices) and type the following command:
Press ‘Enter' to execute the command. Your game mode will now be switched to Creative, granting you the ability to fly.
- Fly: Double-tap the jump key (spacebar by default on most devices) to initiate flight mode. Use the movement keys (W, A, S, and D) to navigate, the jump key (spacebar) to ascend, and the sneak key (left shift) to descend.
- Switch Back to Survival (Optional): If you want to return to Survival mode while keeping the ability to fly, use the following command in the chat window:
Remember that switching back to Survival mode will reintroduce health, hunger, and other survival aspects. To disable flight, double-tap the jump key again.
It's important to note that using cheats can potentially detract from the intended gameplay experience and sense of accomplishment. Use them at your discretion and consider the impact on your enjoyment of the game.
Popular Flight Mods in Minecraft
Numerous mods are available that add flight capabilities to Minecraft, each with unique features and mechanics. Some popular flight mods include:
- Angel Ring to Bauble: This mod adds an item called the “Angel Ring,” which, when equipped, grants players creative-like flight while consuming Grid Power (GP) from Extra Utilities 2.
- Simply Jetpacks: This mod introduces jetpacks to the game, allowing players to fly around using various fuel sources. Jetpacks can be crafted with different materials, offering distinct speed and efficiency.
- Iron Jetpacks: Iron Jetpacks is another mod that adds jetpacks to Minecraft, focusing on customization and progression. Players can craft and upgrade jetpacks with different tiers, enabling faster and more efficient flight as they progress.
- ViesCraft: This mod introduces airships to Minecraft, allowing players to construct and pilot unique airships. These airships come in different sizes and can be customized with upgrades, providing a new and exciting way to explore your world from above.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Using Mods and Cheats for Flight in Minecraft
While mods and cheats can significantly enhance your flying experience in Minecraft, there are potential benefits and drawbacks to consider:
- Increased variety: Mods and cheats add new mechanics and options for flight, making the gameplay more diverse and engaging.
- Customization: Many mods offer customization options, allowing players to tailor their flying experience according to their preferences.
- Accessibility: Cheats can make certain aspects of the game more accessible for players who may struggle with specific challenges or prefer a more relaxed gaming experience.
- Compatibility issues: Mods can sometimes cause compatibility issues with other mods or game updates, potentially leading to crashes or loss of progress.
- Performance: Some mods may have a negative impact on game performance, especially on older or less powerful devices.
- Purity of gameplay: Using mods and cheats may detract from the intended vanilla Minecraft experience, and some players may feel that it diminishes their sense of achievement.
In conclusion, using mods and cheats for flight in Minecraft can greatly enhance your experience by introducing new and exciting ways to explore your world. However, weighing the benefits and drawbacks is essential to ensure you make the best choice for your preferred gameplay style.
Advanced Flight Techniques
For experienced Minecraft players looking to take their flying skills to the next level, there are advanced techniques and methods to explore. In this blog post section, we will delve into using redstone for flight, combining Elytra with fireworks for high-speed gliding, and utilizing the levitation status effect for unique aerial experiences.
Redstone, Minecraft's versatile power source, can be used creatively to achieve flight. By constructing intricate contraptions, players can utilize redstone components to propel themselves into the air. One popular example is the “slime block launcher,” which uses pistons and slime blocks to catapult the player skyward. Here's a basic guide to building a simple slime block launcher:
- Place a sticky piston facing upward.
- Attach a slime block on top of the piston.
- Create a redstone circuit connected to the piston, with a button, lever, or pressure plate as the activation method.
- Stand on the slime block and activate the redstone circuit. The piston will extend, launching you into the air.
Experiment with different redstone components and designs to create more complex and efficient launchers or elevators for your unique flying experience.
High-Speed Flight with Elytra and Firework Rockets
Combining Elytra with fireworks rockets can result in fast, thrilling flights across Minecraft. To achieve high-speed Elytra flight using fireworks, follow these steps:
- Equip your Elytra and find a high starting point for your glide.
- Jump off the edge and activate your Elytra by pressing the jump key (spacebar by default) mid-fall.
- While gliding, hold a fireworks rocket in your hand and right-click (or tap the screen on touch devices) to use it. The rocket will propel you forward, increasing your speed and altitude.
- Control your direction and angle using the movement keys (W, A, S, and D) and your mouse or controller.
Experiment with different types of fireworks to find the perfect balance between speed and control for your high-speed Elytra adventures.
Using the Levitation Status Effect for Flight
The levitation status effect can also be used to achieve flight in Minecraft. This effect is typically gained from being hit by a Shulker's projectile in survival mode. However, you can also obtain levitation through commands or custom potions in creative mode. To utilize the levitation effect for flight, follow these steps:
- Obtain the levitation effect by either encountering a Shulker or using commands/potions (if available).
- Once the effect is active, your character will begin to float upward.
- Control your movement using the standard movement keys (W, A, S, and D). While you won't be able to control your ascent directly, you can maneuver horizontally and wait for the effect to wear off to descend.
- To prolong or modify the levitation effect, use commands, custom potions, or Elytra to glide better and control your descent.
Remember that the levitation effect can be challenging to control, and falling from great heights may result in significant damage or death. Practice using the effect in creative mode to gain confidence and control before attempting it in survival mode.
By exploring these advanced flight techniques, you can elevate your Minecraft gameplay and discover new ways to traverse and interact with the game's vast landscapes.
Tips for Flying in Minecraft
Flying in Minecraft can be a thrilling experience, but it can also be dangerous. To ensure successful and safe flying, here are some tips:
Practicing Flying in Creative Mode
Before attempting to fly in survival mode, becoming familiar with the basics of flying in Minecraft is essential. Creative mode provides an ideal, risk-free environment to practice flying techniques without the fear of losing items or facing in-game consequences. Spend time flying creatively, experimenting with different speeds, altitudes, and maneuvering techniques to build your confidence and skills.
Conserving Rockets When Using Elytra
When using Elytra for flight, fireworks rockets are popular for boosting speed and gaining altitude. However, managing your rocket supply carefully is essential to avoid running out mid-flight. Here are a few tips to help conserve rockets:
- Use low-duration rockets: When crafting fireworks rockets, consider using fewer gunpowder in the recipe. Using one gunpowder creates a duration one rocket, which provides a shorter boost but conserves resources.
- Glide efficiently: Make use of the Elytra's gliding capabilities by only using rockets when necessary. Maintain a shallow glide angle to cover more distance and minimize the need for additional rockets.
- Plan your route: Before embarking on a flight, plan your route to include landing spots where you can safely touch down and restock on rockets if needed.
General Tips for Successful and Safe Flying in Minecraft
To further enhance your flying experience in Minecraft, consider these general tips:
- Keep an eye on your altitude: When flying, especially with Elytra, be mindful of your altitude to avoid colliding with obstacles or falling from a dangerous height.
- Monitor your Elytra durability: Elytra wings have limited durability, so keep an eye on their condition to avoid breaking them mid-flight. Bring along an anvil and materials to repair your Elytra, or equip the Unbreaking and Mending enchantments to extend their lifespan.
- Avoid flying in bad weather: Thunderstorms and rain can make flying more challenging and increase the risk of accidents. Wait for clear weather or use commands (if cheats are enabled) to change the weather before taking to the skies.
- Use a slow-falling potion: Brewing and carrying a slow-falling potion can be a lifesaver if you run out of rockets or experience an issue while flying. The potion will slow your descent, allowing you to land safely and avoid fall damage.
Flying in Minecraft can be a fun and useful skill for players to learn. Whether players are in creative or survival mode, there are many ways to achieve flight in Minecraft. From the basic ways to achieve flight to the more advanced flight techniques, players can experiment and find their own preferred method of flying. By following the tips for successful and safe flying, players can confidently take to the skies and enjoy all Minecraft has to offer. Happy soaring!