Gamers across all platforms have their communication methods that range from acronyms or phrases to universal in-game gestures. This new world of symbols and concepts can be daunting to the uninitiated, but learning a few keywords can make it easier to navigate the gaming environment.?
One of the most frequently used acronyms in gaming is AFK, which means someone is away from their console or desk and will hopefully return shortly.Today's Deals on Amazon
What does AFK mean in gaming?
AFK stands for “away from keyboard” and is used to let other players know that you're stepping away from your console or PC briefly. Many players will type “brb AFK” or a similar message before leaving to let their friends or teammates know that they'll be briefly unavailable.?AFK is used beyond gaming in workplaces to indicate temporary unavailability to your coworkers.
What does GG mean in gaming?
GG?is a short form frequently used in multiplayer?gaming?at the end of a match to?mean?”Good-Game”
What does POG mean in gaming?
POG (Play of the Game) is a word used to?show excitement?or an epic moment. Originated from?the Pogchamp emote.
Abbreviations for Game Types
- ARPG – Action Role Playing Game; You become a character in an action game.
- BR – Battle Royal; A gaming genre where players fight in a restrictive, shrinking environment, and the winner is the last player or team standing. Examples: Fortnite, Apex Legends, PUBG, CoD: Warzone.
- F2P – Free To Play; You can access the basics of the game for free.
- FGC – Fighting Game Community; This is the online community of fighting game players.
- FPS – First Person Shooter; You are the character shooting and see from your view.
- HOG – Hidden Objects Game; You find items hidden in a picture in this puzzle game subgenre.
- MMO – Massively Multiplayer Online; many players play together online in the same online world.
- MMOG – Massively Multiplayer Online Game
- MMORPG ? Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game
- MOBA ? Multiplayer Online Battle Arena; You control a character on one of two teams in this RTS subgenre. Examples: DOTA2, League of Legends
- RPG – Role Playing Game; You become a character to interact or collaborate with others.
- RTS – Real-Time Strategy; You accomplish goals in real-time.
- SIM – Simulation Games; You train in a simulated version of real life.
- TBS – Turn-Based Strategy; Players take turns choosing actions.
- TCG – Trading Card Game; You play a digital version of a card game.
- TD – Tower Defense; You build towers to stop an enemy from reaching a certain place and/or defend your towers from enemy attack.
- TMG – Time Management Game; You complete an increasing number of tasks in a set time limit.
- TPS – Third Person Shooter; You control the shooter character you see on the screen.
Acronyms and Abbreviations for In-Game Features
Every game has its own unique features, but many use similar formatting to present them.
- AOE – Area of Effect; The area where a weapon or spell is working
- DLC – Downloadable Content; Add-on content that you download in addition to the main game
- FOV – Field of View; What you can see
- HUD – Heads-Up Display; On-screen information that helps you play the game
- LAN – Local Area Network; Used to play multiplayer games online locally
- LOS – Line of Sight; Direct view of your target
- Mod – Modification; Update released after the game came out that gives you more content
- QTE – Quick Time Event; Cutscene you can't interact with
Gaming Abbreviations for Player Communication
A great feature of most online games is that players can talk to each other in chat sections. Players use gamer lingo in the gamer chat to quickly?type messages?about cooperation, goods, and statistics.
- AFK – Away From Keyboard
- DC – Disconnect
- BG – Bad Game
- FF – Friendly Fire or Forfeit
- FTW – For the Win
- GG – Good Game
- IGN – In-Game Name
- LFG – Looking For Group
- LFP – Looking For Party
- OMW – On My Way
- TL;DR – Too Long, Didn't Read
- QQ – Crying
- WTB – Want To Buy
- WTS – Want To Sell