A torch is one of the elementary tools you will need in Elden Ring, as having one will help you explore caves and dungeons, get your hands on valuable loot and discover all the bosses in the game. The challenge with torches is that you will have to wield them on one hand, preventing you from bringing a shield to a fight.
On the contrary, a lantern can be attached to your pouch, allowing you to have both hands free to wield your weapon shield in a fight.
So, in this guide, we will explain where you can find a torch in the Lands Between and how to get its more expressive counterpart, an Elden Ring lantern.
How to get a Torch in Elden Ring
For 200 Runes, you can purchase a torch from Kale, the merchant at Church of Elleh who also sells Crafting Kits. This is the first place you will visit after leaving the tutorial area, so it is hard to miss.
Now the torch is yours to keep forever, to use in all the game's dark areas, but let's see how you can equip it.
Use the Torch to Lighten Caves in Elden Ring
- Go to the Menu and choose ‘Equipment.' You can do this by pressing either the Menu button on Xbox or the PlayStation button and choosing ‘Equipment.
- On the top left corner, you will two 5-slot rows, one for the primary hand and one for your secondary hand. You can assign a weapon or a shield on the first three slots of each (the final two are utility slots). A torch can be assigned to any of the 6 slots above.
- You can then use the left for your left side or the right for your right-side armaments on the D-pad to rotate between slots until your character brings out the torch.
Now you're ready to use your torch within Elden Ring, but let's talk about the much better alternative that doesn't waste a slot – and even worse, a hand.
How to get a Lantern in Elden Ring
You can purchase a lantern from the Nomadic Merchant at the Liurnia Lake Shore Site for 1800 runes.
The merchant is located adjacent to the Liurnia Lake Shore Site of Grace in Liurnia East. The region is located north of Limgrave and is typically accessible after defeating Godrick and exiting Stormveil Castle.
However, you can circumvent the castle entirely and still reach Liurnia. To accomplish this, proceed north from the Stormhill Shack Site of Grace. Continue to follow the dirt path under the big bridge, ignoring the fork in the road that will come up. At some point, you will arrive at the old finger reader located on a destroyed bridge.
When you reach the edge, look left. There is a path from one site to the other that you will need to descend and climb up. After that, it is just a matter of traveling a long trail on the mountainside. You will find the Lake-Facing Cliffs Site of Grace at the end of the road. Continuing northwest, you will reach Liurnia Lake Shore Site of Grace and the merchant.
The great thing about a lantern is that you can carry it passively. This means you'll attach the lantern to your waist to maintain room for your shield and weapons.
You can equip the lantern to one of the Quick Items slots at the bottom right of your Equipment screen.
Next, choose the lantern you wish to use with the down-d-pad menu. You're ready to explore the caves of The Lands Between using either or the more costly but more useful lantern Elden Ring.
Now you will have a much easier time fighting early-game bosses, like Demi-Human Chief, Beastman of Farum Azula, and Erdtree Burial Watchdog.
- 4 Best Generators in Armored Cored 6: Fires of Rubicon - September 25, 2023
- AFK Arena Wishlist Priorities: All the Must-Have Wishlist Heroes - September 25, 2023
- World Tower Defense Codes [v1.6.1] - September 25, 2023