To begin by answering the question, the current Borderlands 3 max level cap is 72 after the June 24th update in 2021. Gearbox Software and 2K Games released Borderlands 3 on September 13, 2019, with a starting level cap of 50. Since then, Borderlands 3 has received multiple DLCs and game updates, with the latest introducing the 72 max level limit and crossplay support.
Once your character hits level 72, any experience you receive will only count towards your Guardian Rank. The Guardian Rank has no limit, as its purpose is to reward you with tokens that increase your stats and allow you to unlock skills in the Enforcer, Survivor, and Hunter trees after you finish the main story of Borderlands 3.
Now let's answer all Borderlands 3 level and progression questions, starting with reciting all the Borderlands 3 level cap increases. While you are here, make sure to check for the latest Borderlands 3 SHiFT codes.
Borderlands 3 Max Level Increases History
- September 13th, 2019 – Release: The initial max level in Borderlands 3 was 50, similar to the other three Borderlands games.
- February 13th, 2020 – 6-month Patch: The first patch increased the max level to 53.
- March 26th, 2020 – Patch & DLC2: Guns, Love, and Tentacles Release: This patch increased the level cap to 57. From this point on, players could unlock two capstones in the skill tree.
- June 25th, 2020 – Patch & DLC3: Bounty of Blood Release: The introduction of the third DLC increased the max level to 60.
- September 10th, 2020 – Patch & DLC4: Psycho Krieg and Fantastic Fusterluck Release: The free update accompanying DLC increased the max level to 65.
- June 24th, 2021: The latest increase was introduced with the June 24th, 2021 update that also introduced crossplay, permanent events, and a lot of tweaks and fixes. The current max level is 72.
When will the Borderlands 3 level cap increase?
At the moment, we don't know if and when the level cap will increase further. However, the max level of Borderlands 2 was 80, so we can assume that Borderlands 3 will follow a similar pattern. Celebrating the 2nd anniversary of the game's release on September 13, 2021, with a new DLC and a final increase in the level cap by 8 levels would be very fitting.
How many skill points do you need to reach a capstone
You need 25 points to reach a capstone if you spend points depth-first and don't spend any unnecessary points on the same tree level (horizontally). You will have to reach level 29 for that.
Can You Unlock All 3 Capstones in BL3?
Getting to the bottom of a tree to unlock a capstone requires 25 skill points. At level 72, you have 68 skill points, so you can only unlock two capstones. To max out all three trees and unlock all three capstones, you must have 75 skill points. If the max level increases to 80, players will unlock all three capstones at level 79 when they hit the 75 skill point mark.
You can unlock two capstones at level 54 with 50 skill points.
Borderlands 3 Level XP requirements
Below you will find the XP requirements for each level and the skill points you have available:
|Level||XP Requirement||Skill Points|
This is everything you need to know about the Borderlands 3 max level. Make sure to check the rest of our guides on Borderlands 3 too.