This week in Apple news, we heard about the future of foldable iPhones. Allegedly, Apple has completed durability testing on two foldable prototypes. Of course, it’s anyone’s guess if either model will make it to a commercial state, or when that could ever happen.
The top Apple news stories of the past week:
- Foldable iPhones move to the next phase: According to Economic Daily News, Apple could be working on no fewer than two foldable iPhone prototypes. According to EDN, the two prototypes were in a durability testing phase, and both have “graduated,” as it were. It is unlikely we’ll see a foldable iPhone in 2021, but this backs up earlier rumors that a foldable is on the way.
- iPad Pro with Mini-LED tech slated for Q1 2021: According to a DigiTimes report, Apple could launch a 12.9-inch iPad Pro sometime over the next few months. This new iPad would probably be one of the first — if not the first — products from the company with Mini-LED technology. Theoretically, this could make the iPad’s display even better than high-end OLED panels. We’ll need to wait and see if that ends up being true, though.
- AirPods Pro 2 could come in two sizes: A new hardware leak (found via MacRumors) suggests that there could be two sizes of the next iteration of AirPods Pro. This could be beneficial for folks who think current AirPods are either too big or too small, depending on their ear canals' sizes.
- Caviar creates $108,000 AirPods Max: If you didn’t already balk at the AirPods Max because of their ridiculous $550 price tag, could we interest you in spending over $100,000 more on a model dipped in gold? Over-the-top Russian customization company Caviar is now selling AirPods Max with a “pure gold” finish. There’s no word on how much heavier this will make the already-heavy headphones.
- Third-party AirPods Max cases finally available: Speaking of AirPods Max, another big complaint aside from their price is their purse-like case. Thankfully, third-party firms are already rolling out solutions, with SFBags.com being one of the first. You can grab a leather case for your new headphones for $99.
- Xiaomi drops the charger from Mi 11 box, just like Apple: In the news everyone expected, Xiaomi announced this week that its new Mi 11 phones wouldn’t come with a charger in the box. Xiaomi also made fun of Apple just a few months ago for doing the same thing with the iPhone 12 series. However, Xiaomi is still offering the charger for free for those who want one, something Apple should have done.
- Apple removes controversial apps from App Store: Apple this week pulled an app from the App Store called Vybe Together, whose purpose is to help people organize private parties and skirt local regulations related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The app’s official TikTok account has also been banned.
- That Mariah Carey Christmas special was a hit: On Apple TV Plus, you can watch the Mariah Carey Magical Christmas Special. The special was enough of a success that Apple has asked Carey to do another one for the 2021 holiday season — with an unlimited budget. Seriously. Maybe Apple could want to make it a tradition?